Sunday, June 24, 2012

A New Job

I am happy to announce that I now am a member of the visitor services team at Laumeier Sculpture Park. It is the most recent in my assortment of part-time jobs as I continue toward my goal of the permanent museum collections job. Laumeier is an amazing institution that is very different from anywhere I have ever worked before. As an added bonus, it is accredited by the American Association of Museums, which considering the outdoor nature of the park, is very impressive.

I was attracted by its accreditation status and the environment of the museum. The vast majority of the artworks are outside, with some on display in the five indoor galleries. The collection includes and has included many big name artists, including Donald Judd, Andy Goldsworthy, Ursula Von Rydingsvard, Mark di Suvero, and Ernest Trova. All artworks are thoughtfully placed throughout the park grounds, in the field or in the woods. It's always fun to explore nature and art together.

I work weekends as a Museum Services Associate, and it’s quite cool because I am included on the employee contact webpage. That's a first for me and I am quite tickled by it. The position also comes with a lot of responsibility. I work under the direction of the Museum Services Manager and I share my duties with a second Museum Services Associate. Today is only my second day, but so far so good. I like it here.

Now you must be asking yourself: Is this crazy lady working at the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, and Laumeier Sculpture Park? Does she sleep? Does she live on a diet of coffee beans and lattés to maintain her drive? The answer is nope; I hate coffee. But I have actually resigned one of my part-time jobs, with July 4th being my last day. After five years of working the Pulitzer I decided it was time to move on. I was seeking a job where I had more responsibility and could gain more administrative/managerial experience. Laumeier meets these needs and the Pulitzer, while a great experience, was not a place where I could get those opportunities. I wish them well, I will miss all of my friends and co-workers, and I will be back for plenty of visits. It was just time to go.

So here I am at the start of another adventure. I anticipate that it will be another great experience and I am very happy with my current career choice. The only thing that would make me happier is a full-time job, but I have a positive feeling. I hope it's only a matter of time. And when I do get a Monday through Firday job, I will still be able to work weekends at Laumeier. So yeah, I am a bit crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment